Section 1: Agency overview
The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS):
- is the central statistical authority for the Australian Government;
- provides statistical services for the State and Territory Governments;
- collects, compiles, analyses and disseminates statistics and related information;
- ensures the coordination of the statistical activities of, and provides advice and assistance to, other government agencies; and
- provides liaison between Australia and other countries and international organisations on statistical matters.
Table 1.1: Agency outcomes and output groups