Image: A truck

The National Broadband Network...

Optic fibre will connect 93 per cent of all homes, schools and workplaces and provide speeds up to 100 times faster than many people experience today. The remaining 7 per cent of premises will have access to peak speeds of at least 12 megabits per second through next generation wireless and satellite technologies.

The Government's investment in the National Broadband Network (NBN) is helping to connect people, families, communities, businesses and regions — thus reducing the tyranny of distance and presenting opportunities for new ways of living and working.

The NBN is a key nation building infrastructure project that will help drive Australia's productivity and transform service delivery in key areas such as health and education.

The network will consist of fibre optic cable to 93 per cent of the population, with a combination of high‑speed fixed wireless and satellite technologies to ensure people, schools and businesses in even the most isolated areas of Australia have access to peak speeds of at least 12 megabits per second. The NBN will ensure that every community in regional Australia gets fair and equal access to affordable high‑speed broadband. This includes the delivery of uniform national wholesale pricing within the three technology platforms.

Please visit www.dbcde.gov.au/broadband/national_broadband_network and www.nbnco.com.au for further information on the implementation of the NBN.

The NBN will provide coverage to all of Australia by 2020

Photo: A map - The NBN will provide coverage to all of Australia by 2020