Estimated net capital investment in 2007‑08 has increased by $421 million since the 2007‑08 Budget. This partially reflects new policy decisions of $181 million, including:
- $57 million in 2007‑08 for the Northern Territory Emergency Response for short‑term accommodation, computer and communications infrastructure and other capital investment;
- $28 million in 2007‑08 ($86 million over four years) for the Standard Business Reporting programme, to cut the red tape confronting business when reporting to government; and
- $27 million in 2007‑08 to upgrade information technology systems to improve border security arrangements for travellers entering Australia.
Other variations have increased forecast net capital investment by $240 million, primarily due to the implementation of a substantial capital programme by Defence Housing Australia to replace expiring leases ($211 million).
Table 10: Reconciliation of general government sector net capital investment estimates(a)
- Net capital investment is defined as net acquisition of non‑financial assets.
- Excludes the public debt net interest effect of policy measures.