Australian Government, 2013-14 Budget

Part 1: Revenue Measures (Continued)

Immigration and Citizenship

457 Visas — increased application charge

Revenue ($m)
  2012-13 2013-14 2014-15 2015-16 2016-17
Department of Immigration and Citizenship 46.8 52.8 50.4 48.0

The Government will increase the visa application charge (VAC) for the Temporary Work (Skilled) — Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457) Visa program from 1 July 2013 to $900.

A full list of visa application charges is available on the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website at

This measure is expected to raise $198.0 million in revenue over four years.

Community Partnership Settlement Pilot

Revenue ($m)
  2012-13 2013-14 2014-15 2015-16 2016-17
Department of Immigration and Citizenship 2.6 2.7

The Government introduced a new humanitarian Community Partnership Settlement Pilot (the Pilot) in 2012‑13. Commencing in early 2013, the Pilot will allow up to 500 entrants from within the existing Humanitarian Program, to be settled in partnership with community organisations.

Under the Pilot, community groups will assist entrants for a period of 12 months, including finding employment through facilitating access to training services, linking with Job Services Australia and using the community partner's networks. Partnering community organisations will also be responsible for assisting nominated entrants by paying for airfares, overseas medical checks, some settlement related services, and Visa Application Charges (VACs).

The VAC is estimated to increase revenue by $5.3 million over two years.

An evaluation of the Pilot will occur within 12 months and will test the feasibility of a fully‑fledged ongoing program.

Further information can be found in the press release of 15 December 2012 issued by the then Minister for Immigration and Citizenship.

Note: Where possible, Budget documents are available in HTML and for downloading in Portable Document Format(PDF). If you require further information on any of the tables or charts on this website, please contact The Treasury.